Thursday, August 25, 2011

Deanna’s Birthday – and last days in Barcelona.

 It turns out Devin doesn’t really think I am 25 as he greeted me in the morning with a big hug and a reminder that today I am …39…ok not really.  Anyway, he is fully aware of my age and enjoyed telling me all day how old I was now.  Such a sweet boy, our Devin.
The day started with lots of hugs and kisses and Noah woke up early for the first day of this trip! Calvin made a great breakfast that included fresh fruit and chocolate croissants and great coffee. He’s got his cup of café con leche down pat. The boys made me homemade cards and each of them had some reference to Spain on them. Bullfights and Spanish flags decorated the front and they will be real keepsakes for me. Lots of lovely gifts that they all picked out and were very excited to give to me. 


It was my choice how I wanted to spend the day so I chose to visit the Gaudi (am I a fan?) park that he designed, called Parc Guell.  Guell was a wealthy client of Gaudi. We once again took the metro and got off a little too early and as a result we had to make a steep climb to the park. Outdoor escalators were available but we still had to climb them.  They had stairs for the non-North American tourist.


The view was beautiful and the park is full of lots to explore.  There was a guy playing both the dijereedoo and the accordion at the same time?  A Polish Aussie?  He was really good and the boys rewarded him with .5 euro each.  




The park is Gaudi’s most colourful creation. There is a large public square with a snaking balcony of colourful mosaics that offered a stunning view of the city and is said to be the world’s largest bench. We took lots of pictures and ate our picnic lunch we brought – restaurants are really expensive here but groceries are cheaper than home…picnics for us.  



Aidan bought me a cool leather bracelet in Jamaican colours from one of the street vendors and Noah picked out a pair of silver earrings for me and they both paid with their own money.  Spoiled me and I loved it!  We enjoyed a gelato on our way back home. 


Calvin poured me a large glass of wine and cooked another amazing dinner while the boys began the art projects I commissioned them to do of me.






Aidan and Devin used coloured markers and Noah used pastels and I am as proud as Picasso’s mother must have been. We enjoyed our dinner, relaxed for about 20 minutes and then headed back out to a night of jazz music in the park. We used our beach towels (we have no beautiful afghan) and lay down to enjoy the music along with many locals and tourists. We didn’t stay too long as it was getting late and I am getting old don’t forget.




 Once we got home, at 12:30am, the wonderful men in my life surprised me with a lemon birthday cake, which just happens to be my favourite.  I had a great day with my great family and thank you for being so understanding of this very self-indulgent entry! XO


Our last full day in Barcelona was spent doing laundry and packing.  Devin stayed home to help me while Calvin, Noah and Aidan went to tour the stadium that the greatest football team in the world, FC Barcelona, calls home. It is the largest football stadium in Europe and comfortably seats and sells out to just fewer than 100,000 fans. The club has a museum inside that displays memorabilia and trophies on 2 floors. They were shocked at how many trophies they have actually won. Noah and Aidan got to hold up the European championship trophy and had their picture taken with the World Cup.  They toured the stadium including the dressing rooms and media rooms and left happy football fans. 


We have really enjoyed our time in Barcelona and  think it is a great city! Thank you to S & T for the use of their lovely home. 

3 comments:

  1. Happy, happy, birthday Deanna! Miss you a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, what a perfect birthday Deanna. Happy belated birthday to you!! I'd say all 4 of your boys are keepers.

    I'm just catching up on blog reading after two weeks on Hornby and visitors for the week we got home. I'm loving all of your stories!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Angela ! Miss you all too !

    Krista - yup I'll keep them all.
    Deanna

    ReplyDelete